Large intestine 4, Abbreviated as Li 4, Transliterated He Gu in Chinese, Junction Valley in English.
Li 4 Acupuncture Point Location:
On the dorsum of the hand, between the 1st and 2nd metacarpal bones, in the middle of the 2nd metacarpal bone on the radial side.
Li 4 Acupuncture Point Indications:
- Diseases of the head and face: i.e. external pathogenic headache and body ache, dizziness, congestion, swelling and pain of the eye, nasosinusitis, epistaxis (nosebleed), toothache in the lower jaw, trismus (lockjaw), deafness, mumps, swelling of the face, facial paralysis, facial tic, swelling of the pharynx and aphonia (inability to speak).
- Aversion to cold, fever, febrile disease, anhidrosis (no sweating), hidrosis.
- Dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, dystocia (difficult or abnormal labor/childbirth).
- Gastric pain, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, dysentery.
- Hemiplegia, finger spasm, pain in the arm, infantile convulsion, manic psychosis and irritability.
- Malignant sore, urticaria, scabies.
- Every type of pain and psychogenic tense.
- Use in conjunction with LIV3 (the Four Gates) to strongly move the qi and blood in the body in order to remove stagnation and alleviate pain.
Li 4 Acupuncture Point Benefits:
Expels Wind and releases the exterior, tonifies qi and strengthens immunity, stops pain, regulates the face and head area, and induces labor.
Yuan-Source point of the Large Intestine Meridian
Command Point of the head and face
Li 4 is a very common and useful point. It is useful for any condition related to the face and head. It’s also particularly useful for Wind-Heat conditions (flu). Finally, Li 4 is known as the pain point in the body. Anywhere there is pain, use Li 4.
Clinically, Yuan-Source points are of great significance in treating diseases of the internal organs. Yuan-Source points are the sites where the Yuan (Primary) qi of the Zang-Fu organs passes and stays. Puncturing the Yuan-Source points stimulates the vital energy of the regular meridians, regulates the functional activities of the internal organs, reinforces antipathogenic factors and eliminates pathogenic factors. This method of treating diseases deals principally with the root causes. The Yuan (source) point from the affected meridian is often combined with the Luo (Connecting) point of the internally-externally related meridians in use.